I remember in college, it would be interesting to retrace the design steps that something'd gone through to get the way it was. Probably because design meant throwing as much as you felt like at it and whatever stuck, stuck.
I did that today with the current layout-
We needed a button to sell the comic. I found the most generic Paypal button, used it as a base and added text and an image to it. I thought it looked okay, so I made one for the other book I had.
Then I started loosely putting things together. For temporary placeholders, I took the generic Paypal button, made it black, and tried to put them where I wanted. My thinking was that I'd make real buttons whenever I got to it.
I think they just had white numbers because I wasn't sure what I wanted yet. You can kinda see them here, in that picture.
When I finished with the drawing and coding, the black generic placeholders had grown on me. I even liked the generic numbers, so I kind of kept those too and added text.
Backtracking, I kind of have that generic Paypal button to thank.
Also, blogger's funny about that third column on the left there. It might just by the way I coded it, but blogger acts like a video game with a glitch when I mess with the layout. Sort of like the missingno. glitch in Pokemon. Man, that was a good glitch. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
There are figures in that third panel, but to keep it clean they're drawn on tracing paper and rubber cemented onto the page at the top.
I really like how the figure on the right here turned out. It's going to be a really good base to draw from when I really draw the page. Also, if you look at the pencil line thickness, you'll get a good idea of how small these are. The really thin lines are from a very sharpened pencil.
I've been drawing the thumbnails pretty tight so far. The above nonsense/gibberish is a few different tries for two different pages. These aren't thumbnails, they're just to get the gist before I draw the thumbnail.
I'm trying to kick it into high gear so I can really start this thing sometime next month. The tight thumbnails should really help in the long run. I'm willing to put a little extra time in now, do them right, and save myself a lot of work and time later.
If I get to it, I'll post a real thumbnail of one of those pages in the next few days.
I feel like this every time I'm about to test something that I just spent the last X hours coding.
I spent a day or two last week reworking my site. I didn't really hit any snags, so I think it only took me around a day and a half to finish. I never got around to making a gallery. Mostly because it's just not interesting to me so it was really low on my list of priorities.
Immediately after finishing, I started to feel guilty because Staci's been wanting a redesign too, but with emphasis on a gallery and it not looking like a blog. So, Monday, I started trying to find some sort of simple gallery that would work with blogger.
So- that's why I have a gallery. It's hard trying to nail what you want in it. I kept tossing stuff out because it was too old or dumb or something, or, because I couldn't find anything because my files are so discombobulated and out of order.
Also, that's why the galleries are going to look similar- mine was the guinea pig to hers.