Drawing Table Tuesday

Let's see, how do I explain this... I've been trying to decide on a side project for what seems like a couple years now. I've chosen recently, so I've been working on it for a few weeks now. 

It seems like there were about a hundred thousand things that led me to it, but I'd guess it started a couple years ago, when I was talking to Staci about ideas for another sketchbook.

I'm not sure what they'll be used for when I'm finished, but I think they're going to be a little more meaningful than I originally intended. I think the idea really came from wanting to give popular culture the middle finger; sort of a rage against the machine ideology. Eventually the idea evolved, and I settled on a little more complex idea, really liked it, and sort of ran with it. I love the idea and, simultaneously, it's against about a thousand things I've grown to hate roll my eyes at (hate's a strong word, more like grown tired of). I love things where the more you think about it, the more there is to think about. These are, to me at least, like that. The more complex and seemingly fitting they are.

One reason for these is warm ups; it's great to have something to warm up with before going right to work on a real drawing, like a page or something. So I'm always going to be working on a stack of these while I'm working on the book. Also, these are probably going to take over a year to finish, because I'm not in a hurry and they're more or less just for practice right now. 

And they're going to be great practice- this is literally the hard stuff no one seems to draw, or at least, has enough skill to draw well. Which is the point; I mean, if you're trying to get better at something, it better be kicking your butt or you're not going to get better at it. If I can do these well, I think it shows I can do anything well.

I guess sort of like a self imposed test. Anyway, I'm not sure what the end result of these will be, I'm still weighing my options, I guess, so, right now, I'm playing these pretty close to the chest. I know there are probably only a few people that check this, but I still feel like I should only show ambiguous segments of the work. At least until I know what it's going to be for.

I'm considering submitting for a gallery show, maybe here somewhere in Charleston, but I'm really sure I'm gonna hit a lot of the stigma I met with in college. And because of that, I'm going to have to write some sort of scholarly thesis about why this isn't what they think it is.

But meh, we'll see. I'm not too concerned right now. And anyway, that's the reason for the ambiguity above. And yes, that was on my table- I just moved the real drawing out of the corner of the photo.

P.S. Those aren't real inks, that's just a sketch I used to trace some foundation drawing (blue lines) onto the paper. Just thought I'd clear that up just in case.

Popular posts from this blog

Cover

Drawing Table Tuesday

10 YEAR POST